SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine— At the conclusion of the semester, Southern Maine Community College (SMCC) Director of Athletics Matt Richards published the findings of the semi-annual Fall 2018 Athletics Engagement and Academic Report. This report showing student-athlete GPAs and retention rates based on United States Collegiate Athletic Association (USCAA) normal progress rules for athletic participation eligibility.
- Fall 2018: total student-athletes 107 (16 more than spring 2018, 7 more than fall 2017).
- Fall 2018: overall student-athlete GPA 2.66
- Fall 2018: 91.5 percent of student-athletes completed retention standards as set by *USCAA Eligibility Guidelines (2.5 percent greater than spring 2018). Students who did not meet this standards are in many cases still attending SMCC.
- Fall 2018: 45 student-athletes (or 42 percent of participating student-athletes and 1 percent better than spring 2018) earned a GPA of 3.0 or better.
*USCAA Eligibility Guidelines for participation defined as:
1. Meeting Normal Progress standards of credit load completion of 24 credit hours during two terms of attendance.
2. Meeting GPA sliding scale standards based on credit loads completed.
SMCC Athletics is proud of these efforts made by student-athletes who are enrolled in a full-time course load in addition to meeting the demands of their athletic schedules. Thank you to all coaches and support staff who serve as mentors to our student-athletes on and off the playing surface.